Tuesday, January 15, 2008

thoughts on a not so late night...

I went to an enormous bookstore on Sunday [it may even rival that one in Portland, shoot, what is it called?] It was absolutely jam packed with people, but I bought my first two Chinese books ever [textbooks and dictionaries most certainly excluded]: ZhongGuo ChengYu GuShi (Chinese ChengYu Stories...Chengyu's are kind of like idioms. But this is what I was studying last semester in Classical, so clearly I needed a children's book with lots of pretty colourful pictures to add to my textbook) and Ba Xian Guo Hai (which I don't know how exactly to translate, other than it's the stories of the 8 Immortals, which I had just seen in a temple earlier that day, so I obviously needed a picture book about them). The books were super excited, I even saw some rip-off Harry Potter books of my own (only I'm not really sure how they were Harry Potter related, but Chenjun assures me that they were. Speaking of which, she hasn't read any of the books, she's only watched the movies. This makes me want to cry. But she's studying for an exam that's on Thursday, so I guess I can cut her a little slack for now).
In other news, I went shopping for new shoes because I loose feeling in my feet after about 30 minutes of being outside [it's wonderful]. We went to a big shopping mall, and I almost bought a lovely pair of boots that were all furry and wonderful, but the sales guy said I looked stupid and that I couldn't wear them with the pants that I was wearing. So I kept my money and left. [they were really too expensive anyways]. More importantly, at least 6 Avril Lavigne songs played on the loud speaker. It was...interesting. I sang along, just because it was English and I miss singing. And Juniper and Tigress. A lot. Anyhow...There were an absurd number of people in that mall. Mom, you would have absolutely detested it.
Anyhow, it's 7:30 and I want to go to sleep. Beijing is cold. Orion misses Middlebury.

"show me a garden that's bursting into life..."

No comments: